Philidor set

 
     
     
Jon's main chess page
The Philidor chessmen were introduced in 1850 by George Merrifield to compete directly with the Staunton design, but failed miserably -- so miserably, in fact, that they were produced for only 6 months, and now there are only three known remaining Philidor sets in the world. This set still has one British registration disc on the bottom of one of the pieces. The design was named after the famous French master, Francois-Andre Danican Philidor, the greatest chessplayer of his day in the mid-1700's, not to mention that he was a world-class music composer! His bust is carved into the Opera House in Paris, where it can still be seen today.
HOME