At this time, we have closed our landlord-tenant practice in order to focus on our feminist employment law practice, fighting gender and pregnancy discrimination in the workplace. Please check out the rest of our website
for more information about our practice areas.
Back to L&T: we have developed relationships over time with many excellent organizations which we are happy to recommend. Please see the list below for groups and services that may be able to be of assistance with your housing issue. Your local elected officials are also a great resource for connecting you with help.
If you or a friend may find yourself in need of a workplace rights attorney at any point – whether in conjunction with pregnancy, adoption, termination/severance, or discrimination of any kind – I invite you to please stay in touch via our newsletter. You can sign up here
I wish you the best with your housing issue.
Community Organizations & Attorney Directories
- MetCouncil: Tenant Resources & Hotline – The Metropolitan Council on Housing provides a number of resources for NYC tenants, including clinics, a newspaper, a local radio show, and the Tenant’s Rights Hotline. The Hotline is open on Mondays from 1:30pm to 8pm, and Wednesdays and Fridays from 1:30pm to 5pm and can be reached at (212) 979-6238. More information on these programs can be found by clicking here to access their website.
- EvictionFreeNYC – The Right to Counsel NYC Coalition has developed this tool to help NYC tenants learn more about the current status of NYC’s new Right to Counsel law, and how to be assigned an attorney if you qualify. The site also has a tool to walk you through some basic questions so that you can better determine if your case, income, and location might fall within the current qualification requirements.
- Right to Counsel NYC Coalition – The Right to Counsel NYC Coalition fought to introduce a Right to Counsel program to help low-income New Yorkers access the legal help they need to fight eviction proceedings. Their site offers information on the program as well as additional resources for NYC tenants.
- Housing Conservation Coordinators NYC – HCC NYC holds a free legal clinic on Monday nights from 7-9pm. Click for more information on what the clinic offers, location, and how to reserve a spot.
- NYC Bar: Monday Night Law – NYC Bar Legal Referral Service runs their “Monday Night Law” program on Monday through Thursday evenings, October through August. Click for more information regarding scheduling an appointment, locations, and how to prepare for a Monday Night Law consultation.
- NYC Bar: Legal Referral Service – If you need help but can’t find or afford an attorney, they will schedule a reduced-fee consultation for you. NYC Bar Legal Referral service programs include Monday Night Law consultations, the Moderate Means Program, and the Civil Court Project. Click for more information on each of these programs.
- LawHelpNY – A directory of free legal service providers, searchable by zip code.
Government Departments and Services
- ACRIS – Property ownership and other recorded documents.
- HPD – Managing agent info and violations.
- DHCR – Administrative agency with concurrent jurisdiction over many landlord-tenant issues such as rent overcharge and rent reductions. Forms, information and more. If your apartment is or may be rent-stabilized, contact DHCR to get a “Rent Registration History” for your unit.
Evaluation of Apartment Conditions, Repairs Clean-Up, and Moving
- Checklist Home Services – All kinds of home handiwork – caulking, painting, hanging wall shelves, anything you don’t want to do yourself.
- Cleaning Brooklyn – Thorough, professional move-in and move-out cleanings.
- Get There Moving – Friendly, responsible movers!
- Artful Transitions – Specializing in moving seniors (incl. planning, organizing, downsizing, floor plan, coordinating appraisals and donations, the actual moving, etc).
- Steve Morrison at Futura Consulting – For evaluating whether purported repairs to the apartment were actually completed.
- Major Renovation Management – Renovation services.
- Island Trauma – Clean-up for Collyers/cluttering scenarios or other bigger jobs.
- Olmsted Environmental Services – The gold standard in mold and other environmental testing.